January 12, 2011

My Own Renaissance

So I am now finished with my first semester at ASU as a DM student. Holy smokes. It has been so fast paced that I don't even know where the time has gone. So as a TA, responsibilities include teaching classes and private students, plus, being on scholarship means that you have to accompany someone for each semester you have that scholarship. Alone, these things do not sound so bad. But trust me, nothing is ever "just" one hour a week, or "just" 3 classes. I also attempted the nearly impossible, and took over a friends TA responsibilities when he had to leave school. It was probably one of my worst practicing semesters ever. But its over, I have new resolves, new classes, some new students, and a new outlook on life. Thank goodness for Christmas vacation. ;) Even through all the crazy busy, I was able to make some excellent discoveries and advances in my playing.

Discovery #1: Let me start with some background. I was extremely frustrated this semester as Dr. Meir was trying to implement a new style into my playing. We were discussing how to achieve a "refined and distinguished" style, very characteristic of French music, and I kept finding a disconnect between what I wanted to have happen in my head, and what my body was doing. When I tried to sit back and very straight, with absolutely no movement to achieve the refined sound, I lost all emotional connection to what I was playing, and that is not ok with me. Oh the frustrations. After many hours, scenarios, and tears, the answer came to me in a flash. My bench was too high. I lowered the bench almost as low as it would go, and tried again. Instant difference. The difference of the angle of my arms to the keys changed everything. Suddenly, I was finally able to actually utilize all my arm weight, without "hitting" the keys. The increase in use of gravity allowed me to get the depth of sound I was looking for without distracting and unnecessary movements. So I feel like this should have been something that was addressed many many years ago, but I am aware of it now and am able to move forward. Very liberating.

Discovery #2: I had extremely weak hands for the years that I have been playing, and the repertoire I was playing. I have small hands to begin with, but it seemed that I could never play octaves and big chords without crashing something. What could be the culprit you ask? Weak Pinkies. My baby fingers needed several intense work-out sessions to whip them into shape. This problem hasn't just been affecting chords, but fast passages and runs, as well as effective muscle memory.

Discovery #3: A whole new way to approach playing the keys. So I have always been taught that fingers are curved, all knuckles are strong and remain curved, and you press the keys down. Dr. Meir opened my eyes to a new and Very effective way of playing this semester. Flat fingers, and pulling the keys. This is not a technique that can be taught to beginners, because they have to have the appropriate finger strength to play correctly before they can play "incorrectly." Its amazing. I am using it most specifically as I learn Rachmaninoff's 2nd Piano Sonata. After working on it on several passages, and seeing the immediate effect it had on my playing, I am a believer.

So even after an awful show of practicing for the semester, I really grew as a musician and a pianist. Perhaps the full extent of that growth will make itself manifest as I enter a new semester and am able to make practicing my main priority once again. I also have some new private students that I am very excited about teaching. New personalities always give the opportunity for more growth as a teacher, and I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment