October 1, 2009

Prelude...

So I've been thinking about doing this for a while, so I think I'm finally going to give it a try. I'm not sure I'll do any better at this then, for example, writing in a journal, but its worth a shot. The purpose of this blog for me is to record the thoughts, events and accomplishments of my most elusive goal, Being a great pianist. So right now, at this point in my life, I am a second year Masters student in Piano Performance at Indiana University. This year is a pivotal year for me, as I will be auditioning for Doctoral programs, and also giving my masters recital. Normally this would be a very exciting thing, however, I had an Awful summer, as far as the piano is concerned and entered the school year So behind, that I'm still not sure I'm going to make it. Towards the end of the summer, I had what I could call an "awakening" however, and that gave me the push that I needed. That push I think came from attending the Duxbury Music Festival in July, and studying with Monique Duphil, and briefly, John Perry. It was 2 weeks of awful stress, but something about it put me back in the right frame of mind. I recently decided that I need to be recording these important musical moments so that they can come back and help me later. I have these small bits of inspiration now and then, and I often forget them too soon, and get bogged down in the everyday drudgery of 6 hours in a tiny practice room. I say drudgery of a practice room as if I don't love what I do, which couldn't be further away from the truth. I actually Adore my time in the practice room, it is just hard to see progress day to day, and after weeks of work and what feels like a barely an inch of progress, I call that drudgery. I will try to post almost daily for this beginning section, because I need some way to gage what I am accomplishing. I'm not a good writer, that talent in my family seems to have deposited itself in my older siblings, and dried up before it reached me, but I'll at least try to keep it interesting. Enjoy my world.

No comments:

Post a Comment